August 5, 2011

Let's Talk About Physiological Symptoms


Triggers and talking about trauma can cause those living with PTSD to experience physiological symptoms. When talking about my sexual abuse experience with my counselor this morning, I began to feel very nauseated and I did get sick when I got home after my appointment. Sometimes those living with PTSD can feel something physically before their conscious allows them to be aware they have been triggered. A couple years ago, I saw a man I had never met before. I began to have a panic attack and I felt a hand gripping my arm. It wasn't until a little while later that I realized I was panicking because that man looked similar to the man who had kidnapped me as a child and before he molested me, he had grabbed me by the arm and dragged me a few feet across the room.

I want to invite you to leave comments with your experiences and/or thoughts on physiological symptoms that your friend or loved one experiences related to PTSD and get a dialogue going about this topic.

Use the comment box below to join in the discussion. Comments can be posted anonymously.





If you have a question about what it is like to live with PTSD, please use the link at the top of the page to submit your question to be answered in a future blog.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, delayed reactions, conscious not allowing a trigger instantaneously... sometimes It isn't until a person get's out of the room or home before they may feel the effects and symptoms of ptsd....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate to this although my trauma stems from medical/surgical trauma. Talking about the trauma(s) has ALWAYS caused physiological responses (from what I often refer to as 'cellular memory' throughout my body). I JUST started a new type of trauma therapy that works specifically with the physiological responses of the body and its just been fascinating to watch it all unfold and begin 'listening' to my body and 'noticing' what occurs. I've done various forms of this sort of thing in years past but this specific therapy is quite unique. Overall, it's very powerful on so many levels to see how the body reacts to what our bodies and minds have experienced. Would never want to see anyone experience these things of course but yet comforting to know that others understand what you're going through and experiencing on a moment to moment level. I'm really am so sorry to read about the horrific things you have been through and have had to endure and I pray that God continues to renew your strength each and every day! I commend you for your courage to share it and put it out there with the intention of making a difference in the lives of others. I wish you all the best! Blessings, Claudia

    ReplyDelete